This page explains the backup strategies for ADx installations.
On this page
In order to ensure full fail-safety of the system, you need to periodically perform all of the backup processes presented in the diagram below (click to expand):
As you can see, every process results in one of the following actions (numbered from 1 to 4):
ADx configuration export and import is the backup of the repository configuration within existing ADx installation (with the possibility to include users, roles, and groups). This backup can be executed either from the UI or via ADx REST API. This process can help you achieve the following goals:
- Backup and restore your ADx configuration.
- This feature can help you arrange your staging process (for example: moving multiple repositories from TEST to PROD).
For detailed information, see Repository Configuration Backup.
Backup of the binary files, either in file system (for example with a file system snapshot) or a database (database backup), depending on how they are stored in your system. In addition to ADx backup features, you can run file system and database backups individually, if this is the preferred backup policy in your organization. Your organization should provide instructions on how to run these backups.
ADx metadata export and import features. This backup can be executed either outside of ADx (database backup), from ADx UI or using ADx REST API. For detailed information on how to do it from ADx, see Document Metadata Backup.
Backup of the ADx and Conversion installation with the script provided in every package. This script can be executed from a command line tool. Installation backup provides a history of recent installations - including not only the binaries, but also drivers, licenses, local settings (e.g. ports), which you can compare if needed. For detailed information, see ADx Installation Backup.
You can export the repository configuration from ADx UI or using ADx REST API. See the following pages for details:
- Exporting and Importing Repository Configuration via ADx UI
- Exporting and Importing Repository Configuration via REST
Back up operations of binary files can only be done manually on the respective database and/or file system where they are stored. Information and policies on how to do it should be provided by your organization. We recommend to run the backups in the following order:
- ADx repository DB and system DB backup.
- File system snapshot (or creating a backup folder) if documents are stored in the file system.
Please execute the above steps in a single run to avoid situations where database and the file system are out of sync at the time of backup.
Note that a full backup, could, potentially, cover binaries, but only if they are stored in the file system location covered by the backup script.
Document metadata can be backed up and restored using ADx features, either in the UI or via the REST API. For details, see the following pages:
- Exporting and Importing Repository Contents.
- Administration REST API - Export/Import - for batch export and import from folder via Administration API.
- Importing Contents into Repository via REST - for import based on individual metadata files via Repository API.
ADx and Conversion packages contain the
restore-backup scripts, capable of backing up the entire ADx and Conversion installations. For details on how to use them, see Using Backup and Restore Scripts.